Do you know the properties of Jamaican water for health? The flower of Jamaica, also known scientifically as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis L., is a plant of the Malvaceae family that comes mainly from the warm areas of Asia. However, the cultivation of the bush from which Jamaican flowers are extracted has spread over the years to other warm areas of the world, as it has now become a very popular natural remedy due to its different medicinal benefits.
Although these flowers can be added as a condiment to fruit juices and smoothies, Jamaican water or hibiscus tea is the best known way to take advantage of this plant since it has a pleasant flavor and can be used as a natural remedy for different health problems.
Properties of Jamaican water
The flower of Jamaica, also popularly known as hibiscus or China rose, is a plant that is used to make different natural remedies such as Jamaican water, since it has a wide variety of nutrients, among which its contribution in vitamins stands out. (C, B2 and B1), minerals (calcium, iron and phosphorus), acids (hibiscus, malic and citric), soluble fiber and flavonoids.
Due to this nutritional composition, these are the main health properties of Jamaican water:
- Emollient properties: thanks to its richness in mucilage or soluble fiber, hibiscus has a powerful moisturizing and healing effect that protects our skin and speeds up the healing process of wounds, cuts, burns and other wounds.
- Hypotensive properties: its flavonoid content (especially anthocyanins), which gives it a great antioxidant effect, improves blood circulation and reduces capillary fragility.
- Diuretic properties: its contribution in potassium gives it the ability to eliminate liquids accumulated in the body.
- Properties for the relief of respiratory problems: its anti-inflammatory power accompanied by its febrifuge and antibacterial effect helps to relieve some symptoms of respiratory diseases.
- Digestive properties: its content of different acids gives it a digestive and invigorating effect that helps relieve some stomach problems.
- Fat-burning properties: its richness in flavonoids regulate metabolism to increase the elimination of fat accumulated in different areas of the body. In addition, it also helps reduce the size of adipocytes or fat cells.
What is Jamaican water for – benefits
Due to the different properties that we have explained in the previous section, Jamaican water is a natural remedy that is used for different health problems. Next, we will list the different benefits and uses of hibiscus tea:
- Regulates blood pressure and prevents the onset of cardiovascular diseases.
- Reduces bad cholesterol levels by protecting blood vessels and reducing the likelihood of heart disease.
- It improves liver functions and protects our liver from possible conditions due to its depurative power.
- Increases our body’s defenses thus strengthening the immune system.
- Relieves cough, fever and other symptoms of some respiratory diseases such as the flu, the common cold or bronchitis.
- It improves digestion and reduces some gastrointestinal problems such as gastritis, constipation and heartburn.
- Jamaica water for weight loss is also used as it speeds up metabolism and reduces glucose absorption.
- It is a good sleep remedy as it calms the nervous system and reduces anxiety, giving you a feeling of relaxation.
- It relieves the pain and discomfort caused by menstruation due to its analgesic power.
- Accelerates the healing of skin problems and moisturizes our skin.
How to make Jamaican water
Now that we know what this excellent natural remedy is for, below we will explain a Jamaican water recipe so you can make it at home. You will only need the following amounts to make hibiscus tea:
- 4 cups of Jamaica flowers
- 4 cups of water
Jamaica water preparation
- First of all you will have to add 2 cups of water and the 4 cups of Jamaica flowers to a pot and let them boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Once the time we have indicated has elapsed, you will have to add the remaining 2 cups of water to the same pot and let the mixture continue to boil in it for 10 more minutes. However, now you will have to lower the heat to a simmer so that the flowers give off their flavor and color better in the water.
- Once the 10 minutes are up, turn off the heat and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to cool down.
- Now strain the liquid that we have obtained to remove the remains of the flowers and add it to a jar to drink it whenever you want.
- Although it is optional, you can add a few ice cubes to make the Agua de Jamaica more refreshing.
How to drink hibiscus tea or Jamaican water
To finish, we will tell you some guidelines on how to take the infusion of hibiscus or Jamaican flower water depending on the objective.
- If you want to use it to lose weight you will have to drink 3-4 cups a day half an hour before the main meals.
- If Jamaican water is to relieve symptoms of respiratory diseases or digestive problems, you can drink a couple of cups a day. However, in this case you will have to make the infusion with a tablespoon of the dried plant per glass of water.
- In the case of hypertension or cardiovascular diseases, consult your doctor before consuming this infusion.
- For bites, cuts, burns or other wounds you will have to wet a compress with the infusion and apply it to the affected skin area.