Also known as gunpowder tea, it has a unique method of production: its leaves are withered, steamed, crushed and dried. Those that are of the highest quality are stored, even for years without losing their properties and nutrients. In this post we will talk about the benefits of gunpowder tea , ingredients and side effects.
The leaves of this tea are rolled into balls, which is why in China it is known as pearl tea. It has a somewhat smoky flavor and its small granules are similar to gunpowder, perhaps for this reason it owes its name in English.
In the market you can find three varieties of gunpowder tea:
- Chinese pingshui. It is the most common and with a different flavor than that found in China. It has a strong and fragrant taste.
- Its cultivation occurs in Taiwan and is rich in caffeine. It has a different aroma from China, similar to Oolong tea, but with a more intense and earthy flavor.
- Cylan. It is grown high in Sri Lanka and its flavor is very rich.
There are other varieties of this green tea, some of them are: Tieguanyin, Huang Guanyin and Dong Ding.
Gunpowder Tea Benefits
Gunpowder tea is made with green tea, it is rich in polyphenols, such as EGCG, which has many properties, including fighting free radicals. Also among the gunpowder tea benefits there is the contribution of energy and the improvement of mental capacity. There are those who drink it to activate the metabolism. Below are some of the benefits of gunpowder tea .
All varieties of gunpowder tea contain catechins, a polyphenolic antioxidant that combats inflammatory conditions of the stomach such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, bloating, and constipation.
Being rich in antioxidants, it is capable of neutralizing free radicals and reducing oxidative stress in cells. Therefore, it helps prevent Alzheimer’s and chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease and rheumatoid arthritis.
Containing caffeine, gunpowder tea becomes a good source of energy. The amount of caffeine it has is higher than other teas, but not as much as coffee.
Catechins and gunpowder tea alkaloids are responsible for controlling blood glucose levels. Being a glucose regulator, it is excellent for people suffering from diabetes to lead a normal life.
protects the heart
Another of the benefits of gunpowder tea is its antioxidants, which help reduce bad cholesterol and triglycerides in the body. Therefore, it prevents fatty plaques from forming in the arteries, which are what cause heart attacks, atherosclerosis and strokes.
Strengthens the immune system
The body’s defenses are strengthened thanks to the action of polyphenols present in gunpowder tea, preventing infections, colds and flu.
Help in weight loss
Components such as caffeine, catechins and theanine contribute to weight loss. These compounds speed up metabolism, making the body burn more energy efficiently.
Gunpowder tea benefits. preparations
Here are some recipes where gunpowder tea is included.
- Three grams of gunpowder tea.
- 200 ml of water.
Steps to follow:
- The water should be heated to 80ºC.
- Some of this water is poured into the kettle to prepare it. This water must be discarded.
- Add the tea leaves and let them infuse for about 3 minutes.
- Serve little by little so that the strength is even.
Iced gunpowder tea with peppermint
It is a type of Moroccan tea with a strong and refreshing flavor, which is given by the mint.
- ½ liter of water.
- A teaspoon of gunpowder.
- honey to taste
- A bunch of mint.
Steps to prepare it:
- You have to wash the tea leaves in a container with water at 80ºC.
- Strain and place the leaves with honey and boiling water.
- The flame must be moderate and you have to wait for it to boil again.
- Add the mint (it can be mint) and let it heat up for 3 minutes.
- Do not allow the water to boil because the leaves oxidize and become bitter in taste.
- Turn off the heat and wait for it to cool down.
- Pour the preparation into a container and then to the original, so it mixes well.
- Finally it gets into the fridge and voila!
Gunpowder tea benefits. Side effects
Those negative effects linked to gunpowder tea are gastrointestinal problems, anxiety, kidney stones and insomnia. However, these effects can be avoided if consumed in moderation.
- Since the amount of caffeine is higher than that of other teas, its stimulating effects cause anxiety symptoms, especially when drinking more than 2 cups a day.
- Like any caffeinated beverage, the gunpowder tea can cause insomnia. If you are one of those people who have trouble sleeping or are sensitive to caffeine, it is best to avoid consuming it.
- Stomach problems. The record of gastrointestinal problems due to the consumption of gunpowder tea is limited, however, those that have presented symptoms have been due to the caffeine content.
- Kidney stones. Consuming too much gunpowder green tea may increase the chance of developing kidney stones. In this sense, it is best to limit consumption to 1 to 2 cups a day.