It is a tea that is a great substitute for sweetened or carbonated drinks in people who are used to following a sugar or calorie-controlled diet. Also, if we add citrus extract to this drink, it will be ideal for weight loss, because it stimulates metabolism. In this article we will talk about how to drink Earl Gray tea to lose weight .
Every time there is a trend to drink herbal tea in order to lose weight, then green tea comes to mind. However, it tastes better and Earl Gray tea benefits, because it contains less caffeine and a large amount of antioxidants.
Earl Gray tea for weight loss. What is it?
Earl Gray tea results from mixing black tea and bergamot oil. Originally the tea leaves were fermented Celian leaves from India and Sir Lanka. As the drink became very popular, it began to be mixed with other types of black tea and to this day it has even been mixed with green or white tea.
The bergamot that is added to Earl Gray tea is extracted from the bergamot fruit. It is an oil from a citrus plant found in Calabria, Italy and which is taken to India. However, lately this fruit is being produced in regions of South America and the Ivory Coast.
The aroma and flavor of this tea is bitter with certain citrus notes, which will make it difficult for you to switch to another type of tea. There are those who try it without milk, without sugar, with milk cream, with white sugar, etc. When you try it, prefer to use the leaves, because their natural aromas are better preserved. Although it also comes in bags, which is nothing more than the remains of pulverized teas.
The earl gray tea can be found pure or a mixture (blending). It is said that it is pure when buying a kilo of it, its origin is from a single place, that is, from the same garden or region. No one should sell you a Darjeeling from China or Ceylon that is not from the Darjeeling India region itself. Meanwhile, the mix or blending are mixtures of teas from various areas. That is to say, different flavors of teas are mixed until they achieve a particular flavor.
Properties of Earl Gray tea
We have already said how good Earl Gray tea is for weight loss, this is due to the number of properties it has and which are mostly provided by bergamot. There are numbers of Earl Gray tea varieties that can be found, for example, with green tea, black tea, red tea or Rooibos.
The properties that contribute to weight loss are the following:
- Amount of antioxidants. It contains a number of polyphenols that protect the body against free radicals. In addition, due to the amount of fiber it contains, it helps to lose weight and since it contains citrus, it helps to eliminate toxins.
- It’s astringent. Its tannin content gives it that bitter taste that characterizes it, making it excellent for avoiding diarrhea and gastritis.
- It’s diuretic. Prevents fluid accumulation in the body.
- It has low calories. It contains very few calories and also gives a feeling of satiety.
- It favors digestion. Earl Gray tea is very effective when there are digestive problems, caused by eating heavy meals, in addition, it relieves constipation and reflux.
other earl gray tea properties equally useful for health are:
- By having catechin it helps in combating oral infections.
- Prevents anxiety and stress.
- It is an energizer. As it contains caffeine, it is a natural energizer that provides the necessary energy to support the daily routine.
- It strengthens the immune system, so it is effective in curing colds and flu.
Earl Gray tea for weight loss. How to prepare it?
The refreshing taste of earl gray tea and its delicate aroma is conducive to drinking without sweetening or if you prefer, add honey, lemon or milk. This way it can be complemented with bergamot and slightly soften the bitter taste it has.
The recognized brands of this type of tea recommend that a teaspoon be prepared in 200 ml of water to the point of boiling (it cannot come to a boil because oxygen is lost, which is important to enhance the flavor). It should be allowed to rest between 2 to 3 minutes. Then it is strained and when it is at a suitable temperature it is drunk.
Tea being delicate should not be poured directly into boiling water, as it will scald and burn causing the flavors to fail to release.
What contraindications does it have
Earl Gray tea is ideal for weight loss, however, you must have moderation in its consumption because:
- It can cause cramps, blurred vision, twitching, and paresthesias.
- Bergamot can block the potassium channel, which is what causes the above symptoms. It is advisable to suspend its consumption that in a week the effects will disappear.
- It is recommended to consume 6 to 8 cups daily.