It is one of the best teas in China, widely consumed worldwide, thanks to its rich aroma and taste quality. It is also known as Dragon Well and is originally from the Hangzhou region of China, in a small town near the West Lake named Long Jung. You will know here what Longjing tea is .
History of Longjing tea
There are indications that Longjing tea existed in the Tang and Song dynasties, more than 1,000 years ago. Its origin is said to date back to the Sui Dynasty at the Lingyin Temple. There the trees were planted within their gardens and the monks were the ones in charge of making it and also drank it.
The elaboration of this tea was very different from how it is done today and it was only drunk during meals. During the Song dynasty, its consumption remained solely for the aristocracy. At the end of it, tea was not only drunk during meals, it was already done just for pleasure.
It was with Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang of the Ming dynasty that kneaded tea was eliminated, so the drink began to be made as we know it today. On the other hand, the Qianlong Emperor of the Qing dynasty was the one who spread it to all social strata.
Longjing tea flavor
Longjing tea has a special flavor, deep and oily, like honey. Notes of walnuts and acidity of flowers are perceived. Even with such versatility in its aroma, it is not perceived sharp. As for its color, it is usually yellow-green, emerald or gold, depending on where it comes from and the time it is harvested.
Its sweet taste comes from the antibacterial substances it contains. It has a social purpose, although it is hardly possible to acquire it, barely a 30% probability in the world market. On the other hand, Dragon Well tea comes in different varieties and different quality, depending on how the leaves have been harvested. They are the following:
- Xihu Longjing. It is the most popular and the best quality. The buds of its leaves are collected in spring. Due to its high quality, it is difficult to get it in a country other than China.
- Shi Feng Longjing. It has an intense nutty aroma.
- Meijiawu Longjing. The color of its leaves is a strong green that produces a nutty and very sweet drink.
- Bird tongue. The collection of its leaves is given on March 21. It has a sweet and intense flavor.
- Ming Qian. It is the best of all Longjing varieties what’s up. It has a very short harvest cycle, which is why it is more expensive. Its color is golden with an aroma of incense, certain toasted and nutty touches, with a certain fresh spiciness at the end.
How to distinguish a real Longjing tea from a fake one
It is necessary to know which Longjing is true, for this there are some tricks. The most commonly counterfeited tea is the Shi Feng variety, which certain scammers make by roasting other types of teas. They give it that particular yellow-green color so that it resembles the original. Others mix high quality tea with low quality tea. There are also those who fake it using certain oils.
The original teas have a certificate issued by the Hangzhou government, which has a party serial number printed on it. It also has a password under a silver band, which, by entering it online, the buyer can verify its authenticity.
When you buy the dragon well tea you have to see that the blade is straight, flat and with a smooth surface. If they exceed 1.6 cm or less than this measurement, then they will be of inferior quality. In addition, they should not be dirty or narrow, the high-quality ones should be green-yellow in color.
As for the volume of its leaves, they should be volumetric, it will be much better. If they are dry, it is not convenient to buy them. However, its aroma is more difficult to define, the tea must be fresh, as if it were picked instantly. One way to indicate its high quality is that, being in water for a short time, it dilutes easily. Add hot water at 80ºC to the leaves and if you see the leaves turn a pale and weak color, it is an old Longjing tea .
How to prepare Longjing tea
To prepare Longjing tea you must have the following ingredients:
- 2 to 3 grams of dragon tea.
- A cup of water.
How to prepare it:
- The water should be heated to around 80ºC, this is the ideal temperature (higher it will burn the leaves and their flavor will be altered).
- Add the leaves to the water, always maintaining the indicated temperature (you can help with a thermometer).
- Let infuse for about 2 minutes.
- Strain and serve.
Longjing tea properties
Some of the properties of Longjing tea are the following:
- A cup immediately quenches thirst, providing a charge of energy.
- Relieves hangovers and strengthens the immune system. It is excellent when there is vitamin deficiency.
- Due to its high content of antioxidants, it reduces the effects of aging and is anti-carcinogenic. In addition, it mitigates chronic fatigue.
- By drinking it in the morning, it improves mental and physical abilities throughout the day, so the feeling of fatigue will take time to arrive.
- Reduces blood pressure, because it strengthens the walls of blood vessels. In addition, its components are capable of reducing blood cholesterol, destroying the accumulation of fat on the walls of blood vessels.
- Prevents the appearance of cavities.