The lotus plant grows in water and is native to Asia and East Africa, where it is used in cooking. It takes advantage of its leaves, seeds and flowers, in addition its roots have a large number of properties that benefit health. In this post you will know what lotus tea is .
Their roots associate them with good fortune, which is why the Japanese cut them into slices and use them as decoration in their homes. But it also has many uses in gastronomy, such as in soups, stews, stir-fried vegetables, etc. In addition, it contains vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and a lot of fiber.
lotus tea benefits
The plant has innumerable properties that are important to mention. Here are some benefits of lotus tea .
- Controls vomiting, bile and gastric juices, this is thanks to its antiemetic properties.
- If there is intestinal abuse and the vomits are bloody, the properties of the tea control them.
- Avoid nosebleeds that are very common when there is heat stroke or due to an injury. Very effective in children.
- Avoid hermaturia, which is when white blood cells appear in the blood.
- By having digestive and antibacterial components, it prevents and controls diarrhea and cholera.
- Its properties help regulate temperature, so it manages to control fever. The seeds are what make this possible.
- Regulates blood sugar, so it controls and prevents diabetes.
- It is anti-inflammatory. This property is provided by its leaves.
- By having astringent properties, it protects the heart and kidneys.
- Its antioxidants help eliminate toxins accumulated in the body.
- It is a great digestive, this is possible due to its neferin and nuciferin content that helps with indigestion problems.
- Being an excellent anti-inflammatory, it relieves joint problems. It also provides anticoagulant properties.
- Eliminates free radicals and oxidative stress, so it helps maintain good health and ward off serious diseases.
- Being a diuretic, tea is effective if you have problems with fluid retention.
Lotus Tea Varieties
In addition to prepare it as an infusion. There are other varieties of tea, such as lotus flower tea, which is made using its flower. She is in the middle of the leaves and a complete one is used when preparing it, between 4 to 8 grams. There are flowers that can have that weight.
There is also the preparation of the fruit of the lotus flower. In this case you must extract the fruit that bears the flower and put it to dry. To prepare the tea, between 6 to 10 grams of the fruit is used.
Another of the elements used is the lotus seed, which is more difficult to make, because they come from those grown in the Asian region and are typical of that area. The blue lotus tea version is used for its psychoactive action, improves sleep, increases sexual desire and reduces anxiety.
Is the embryo preparation lotus, another difficult to prepare, because it is from Vietnam and is prepared with fresh lotuses from the region. There are other teas that are prepared with the root of the lotus, also difficult to prepare for the same reasons as the previous ones, it depends on the area where they are grown.
lotus tea side effects
This tea provides a large number of health benefits, therefore, it is difficult to find side effects in it. Surely these effects have to do with excessive intake that can affect the body. It is not recommended for pregnant women and neither are those who are breastfeeding, because it is not yet known what impact it can have on the development of the infant.
Children should not be given it either, because having anticoagulant, diuretic, anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties could affect the development of children. It is best to keep it away from them because their consumption could cause rare problems.
In the event that you are under medical treatment with certain medications, it is best to discontinue their use. If you want to drink it, it is advisable to consult your doctor.
Lotus Tea Uses
This root can be found in health food stores or herbalists, fresh or dried, being more frequent in powder form. They can even be found frozen, as fermented or canned pickles.
Using lotus root
To know how to make lotus tea you must follow the following steps:
- Clean the root, peel it and cut it.
- Soak it for an hour if you use the dehydrated ones.
- Add water, sea salt, cover and boil for 20 minutes, until soft.
- Add a splash of tamari.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day, it is excellent for expelling bronchial fluids.
powdered lotus tea
In addition to the root, lotus tea also comes as a powder. To prepare it, it is necessary to heat over low heat two teaspoons of lotus powder and one gram of ginger powder. Add a few drops of soy sauce, cover and let it infuse for two minutes.
If you drink every day a cup of this tea It will help strengthen the immune system and therefore prevent many diseases. It will also facilitate the digestive process if it is drunk after the main meals.
The root can be eaten raw or cooked, it is slightly sweet and offers several culinary possibilities such as: boiled, roasted, fried or grilled. It is also excellent as a garnish, in soups, stir-fries, broths, etc. The Chinese, for example, make it sweet and the Indians prepare it in a spicy pickle.