It is also known by other names such as: hyeonmi-cha or brown rice tea in Korean and roasted rice water in Vietnamese. It is a Korean tea that is prepared as a herbal tea of brown rice roasted in boiling water. In this post we will tell you what brown rice tea is .
To make this drink, you can make it from scratch or buy roasted rice, which in Korea and other countries is sold in Korean stores. It can be mixed with green tea (nokcha) giving rise to brown rice green tea (hyeonmi-nokcha). In Japan there is a similar drink called genmaicha.
There are other traditional Korean teas that are made with barley, buckwheat and corn, these are: bori-cha, memil-cha and oksusu-cha. Sungnyung tea is made by adding water over burnt white rice. On the other hand, hyeonmi-cha, brown rice, is cooked for a long time over low heat until its grains are soft and it can be consumed as a whole: rice and liquid.
Brown rice tea benefits
Next, we invite you to learn about the benefits of brown rice tea , an excellent delicious and healthy option.
Help to lose weight
One of the main benefits of brown rice tea is to lose weight , thanks to its fiber content, it speeds up metabolism and eliminates a large number of calories. In addition, it provides a feeling of satiety, allowing you not to eat more.
Understanding what brown rice tea is for, it is known that, if consumed regularly, it helps prevent the signs of aging. Due to its antioxidant content, it can prevent diseases such as cancer or Alzheimer’s.
Improves the digestive process
By containing fiber, it helps to avoid the risk of colon cancer. It also intervenes positively in the digestive process, avoiding constipation and stomach aches.
Avoid heart disease
Thanks to its content of minerals such as selenium and manganese, it avoids the risk of suffering from heart disease, arthritis or joints. In addition, it strengthens the nervous system and regulates cholesterol.
Brown rice tea provides energy
It is excellent to start the day to day, because it provides the body with energy to withstand a whole day of physical effort, from the moment you get up until you go to bed. It is highly recommended for after doing exercises or some sport, because it will help to recover the muscles and the skin.
Strengthens the immune system
Brown rice tea provides the necessary vitamins for the body, strengthening the immune, digestive and nervous systems.
purifies the body
When drunk frequently it helps to eliminate impurities from the body: intestines, kidneys, skin and liver. It also aids in weight loss by reducing waist fat and fluid accumulation.
How to prepare brown rice tea
The flavor of brown rice tea or hyeonmi-cha is toasty nutty and is delicious to drink hot or cold. The steps to prepare it are the following:
- In a medium-sized skillet spread some brown rice. The layer should be thin to ensure your beans roast evenly.
- Roast the rice until its grains are brown in color and give off a nutty aroma. The toasting time will vary depending on the heat applied and the type of pan, although it usually does not exceed 5 minutes. Never leave rice unattended as it may burn.
- Once ready, place the rice on a plate, then put it in a container and put it away. If you prefer, toast more rice.
- Calculate how much hyeonmi-cha tea you want to make. If you use a tablespoon of brown rice the flavor will be strong. Also, you can try with Green Tea, place a quantity of rice in a sieve and add a teaspoon of green tea leaves to it, this will produce a cup of tea.
- Heat water to a temperature of 82º C and pour it over the sieve that has the rice and the tea leaves, which should be on top of the empty cup. Leaves infuse for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the sieve and drink warm.
Did something go wrong with your food? Surely you have diarrhea, to alleviate the symptoms there is a natural treatment to combat it: rice water. By drinking it, it will calm the number of bowel movements and cramps. Being rich in starch, it minimizes stomach irritation and protects the mucous membranes of the body.
To prepare it you must do the following:
- In a pot, boil a part of rice for 3 parts of water, for 15 minutes. If you want it to have some flavor you can add a cinnamon stick and a little honey.
- This water can be given to children when they have diarrhea, because it is a natural source of hydration.
- When this liquid is drunk, the digestive system will begin to regulate itself and you will recover from diarrhea.
Contraindications of brown rice tea
Side effects that brown rice tea can cause can come from green tea, including nausea and upset stomach. In addition, the caffeine it contains can cause difficulty sleeping, irritability or nervousness. If drunk in excess it can cause liver toxicity.
On the other hand, consuming green tea can prevent iron from being absorbed by the body. If you take iron supplements, you will need to do so 4 hours after drinking the iron. tea or 2 hours before doing it.