The earl gray tea is excellent if we accompany it with some or cakes. It is a black tea, whose flavor is intense and strong. It is originally from Sri Lanka or India. Its characteristic aroma is given by bergamot and its essential oils. It is the favorite tea of famous fictional characters like James Bond or Picard from Star Trek.
Its name comes from the second Earl of Gray named Charle Grey, from the beginning of the 19th century. The tea was presented to him by Chinese diplomats. Its peculiar flavor is given by bergamot, a citrus plant that has antiseptic and antidepressant properties. In addition, it is effective in combating colds and flu. It has citrus notes and is bitter in taste. There are those who drink it without milk or sugar, but the English drink it with white or brown cane sugar, milk or cream.
Earl Gray Tea. Benefits
One of the benefits of tea is its antioxidant property, but also its ability to regulate the metabolic process. However, in relation to the earl gray tea has other benefits. Let’s get to know them.
- Improve mood. Bergamot is responsible for improving mood, as well as reducing the effects of stress, anxiety and depression. Due to its theine and caffeine content, it gives that much-needed energy contribution to perform all day.
- Avoid stomach problems. This type of tea is very effective in relieving digestive problems, it processes heavy meals well, relieves constipation and reflux.
- It helps to lose weight. Earl gray tea for weight loss, provided it is accompanied by a balanced diet. Due to its antioxidants and the amount of fiber it has, it improves digestion and good intestinal transit.
- Excellent to fight the cold. Earl Gray tea with citrus is excellent for relieving cold, flu and cough symptoms. So it is good to drink it in cold seasons.
- Improves circulation. Thanks to the earl gray tea properties it serves to reduce cholesterol and protects against coronary diseases.
- tooth protection. Thanks to its catechin content, it prevents the formation of plaque, cavities and eliminates bacteria from the mouth.
- Provides water balance. Since tea is made with water and also has excellent properties, it can be a great option to hydrate the body. It also contains potassium which helps balance body fluids and homeostasis.
Next, earl gray tea contraindications are as follows:
Excessive intake of this product may cause muscle cramps, blurred vision, twitching, and paresthesia. These effects are due to its bergamot content, which can inhibit potassium and is what causes the problems mentioned at the beginning. If you manifest any of these symptoms you should stop using it, after a week they will disappear.
The recommended intake is between 6 to 8 cups a day and not drink it at night, especially those who have insomnia problems.
Other contraindications is that it hinders iron absorption due to its tannic and gallic acid content. Of course, this will depend on how much is in the cup, which in turn will depend on the brand.
Excessive consumption of non-herbal teas such as Earl Gray, due to its high caffeine content, can cause palpitations, nervousness and insomnia.
How to drink earl gray tea
This type of tea can be drunk in various ways. Here we will explain each one.
mode of preparation
The earl gray tea can prepare it using its loose leaves or with the bags. The rule is that for every 240 ml of water add 6 grams of leaves. If you prefer it stronger then add more leaves. If you use the sachets and want it stronger, add 2 sachets.
If tea leaves are your thing, wrap them in bags and keep them like this or in a tea filter so you can strain it.
- Fill a pot with fresh, cold water. Do not use hot tap water or already heated water, because this has minerals that can change the taste of the tea.
- Place the pot over high heat for 4 to 10 minutes, until it boils. Then lower the heat and let it cool for 1 or 2 minutes (a little below the boiling point).
- Wherever you are going to steep the tea (usually in the cup or teapot) pour the hot water. However, you will need to stir the hot water before adding it.
- If you use tea bags, take one and place it in the cup. In case of using loose leaves, place it in an empty tea bag or measure the amount and place it at the bottom of the container.
- Steep the tea for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag or if using leaves, strain it.
Add elements to tea
- If you want to keep its flavor pure, drink it black.
- If you want it sweet, add sugar.
- You can give it a citrus touch by adding a squeeze of lemon.
- Earl gray tea can be made with milk. Once the tea has steeped you can add a quantity of milk or cream.