For a long time, people have expressed the good of tea, a drink that has been passed down from generation to generation. There are several well-known options that are marketed, many of which are not very widespread, such as barley tea, which offers an infinite number of properties. In this post we will talk about the benefits of barley tea , ingredients and side effects.
You will already be aware of how good barley is, with the possibility of trying it in the form of tea, another way to take advantage of its nutrients. This drink can be served hot or cold. At present it can be found ground which facilitates its preparation, so it would only be a matter of heating and passing the water through a filter.
When drunk, a somewhat bitter taste is perceived, so it is usually sweetened with other ingredients, such as cinnamon or honey. Drinking it regularly will provide innumerable nutrients, reducing the possibility, for example, of having high cholesterol, or suffering from constipation or colitis, due to its high fiber content.
Barley Tea Benefits
The prepared infusion Based on barley, it has a series of vitamins and minerals such as complex B, vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, zinc and phosphorus, which are the ones that provide the benefits of barley tea .
Controls cholesterol in the blood
Drinking barley tea contributes a quantity of dietary fiber, so among its effects is to form insoluble complexes that prevent the intestines from absorbing bad cholesterol. Therefore, lipid levels remain normal, avoiding the risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases, which are associated with the formation of plaques in the arteries.
Balances glucose and produces satiety
Another of the benefits of roasted barley tea is the control of blood sugar and maintains normal insulin levels, thanks to dietary fiber. In addition, it prolongs the feeling of satiety for a longer time.
Keeps the intestines healthy
The grains of this cereal contain hordein, a substance that acts as an intestinal antiseptic. Therefore, consuming it helps in the treatment of colitis and diarrhea. On the other hand, thanks to the fiber, the intestinal microbiota is kept in balance, thus preventing the formation of hemorrhoids.
Strengthens the immune system
The immune system is strengthened by the contribution of vitamin C and antioxidants from barley tea. Activates more white blood cells and thanks to iron, prevents anemia and fatigue.
Among the benefits of toasted barley water is the contribution of selenium to the skin, which is favored, making it more elastic and protecting it from free radicals.
Strengthens the hair
To drink barley infusion favors hair growth and strengthening, this is possible due to its keratin content.
How to prepare barley tea
For the preparation of this rich infusion you must have the following ingredients:
- ¾ of cup of barley
- Six glasses of water.
- Lemon juice and its zest.
- Cinnamon or ginger.
It is done with these simple steps:
- The impurities of the barley are removed, for this it is washed with cold water.
- Then, in a pot, place the water, barley and lemon zest.
- When it reaches the boiling point, it is covered and it is left for about 30 minutes with the low flame.
- When ready, strain and add the lemon juice and honey.
You can drink it cold or hot, add ginger, cinnamon or vanilla. Include this drink in moderation so that your intestinal rhythm is not altered.
Next, other preparations that involve barley tea.
Barley milk with salt
Before preparing this drink you need the following ingredients:
- 200 grams of barley.
- 400 ml of water.
- A pinch of sea salt.
These are the steps:
- Wash the barley with water to remove impurities.
- Put the barley, the water in a pot and put on high heat for 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, let continue for at least 20 more minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Get off the heat and grind the barley.
sweet barley milk
The ingredients to prepare it are:
- ½ cup of barley.
- A liter of water.
- honey to taste
- A cinnamon stick.
- Lemon peel.
To make it, do it like this:
- Wash the barley.
- Take it to fire in a liter of water until it softens.
- Add the cinnamon and zest.
- Sweeten with honey.
- Let cool and that’s it! To drink this rich preparation.
Blended barley milk
The following ingredients must be included:
- A cup of barley.
- Four cups of water.
- A pinch of salt.
- Sweetener to taste.
It is prepared with these steps:
- In order for the barley to soften, it must be soaked for about 12 hours.
- It washes well.
- Put the barley in the blender with two cups of water and gradually increase the speed.
- Express the milk with a spoon.
- Add the sweetener of your choice and a pinch of salt.
- You have to keep it refrigerated in a glass jar.
Barley tea benefits. Side effects
Not everything comes down to the benefits of barley tea , let’s get to know what its side effects are.
- digestive upsets. As it contains a high amount of fiber, barley tea can cause flatulence, bloating or abdominal cramps.
- Not suitable for coeliacs. This cereal contains gluten, therefore it is contraindicated for those who suffer from celiac disease.