Thanks to the amount of nutrients it has, it is considered an alkaline drink. It prevents many diseases and has a great ability to alkalize the blood. In this post we will tell you if Rooibos tea is acidic? Or is Rooibos tea alkaline?
The consumption of this drink is growing over time in Western countries. Above all, for those people who are looking for a coffee replacement or who limit their consumption. Drinking Rooibos tea is a great option because it comes from a tree in South Africa and not a tea plant, so it does not contain theine.
The rooibos tea is similar to red tea, but without the caffeine. In addition, it does not inhibit the absorption of iron, because it contains little tannin, for this reason you can drink more cups, instead of tea or coffee.
The importance of alkalinity in beverages
The metabolism of our body means that when food is processed, some substances are eliminated, including some types of acids. In this sense, when alkaline foods or drinks are consumed, the effects of these acids in the body are slowing down.
The alkalinity or Ph is determined by a scale, which goes from 0 to 14. Between 0 and 7 the acidity is very high, between 7 and 14 are the most alkalinity. Ph 7 is the neutral level. The ph level of the blood should be between 7.35 and 7.45, that is, slightly alkaline. In such a case that the ph is below 7, it means that there is an excess of acid, so it would cause the following:
- Difficulty absorbing nutrients and eliminating toxins from our body.
- Deficiencies in the immune system.
Since the 1960s, research has been done on the rooibos tea benefits. The investigations were oriented to analyze and test how the Rooibos plant is composed and thus evaluate its active principles. Apparently, the plant has a powerful antioxidant called aspalathin that is important in fighting certain diseases. There is a large amount of South African and international literature that talks about it.
Is Rooibos tea acidic? Benefits provided by its alkalinity
To answer the question , is Rooibos tea acidic?, it is necessary to understand the amount of benefits it brings to people’s health. Among which we can mention:
- Relief of gastric colic. Its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties relieve digestive and intestinal problems such as: colic, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, etc. In addition, it calms nausea and vomiting.
- Protects teeth and bone. Due to its magnesium, calcium and fluoride content, it protects the teeth and bone structure, making them stronger. This tea is a good supplement to prevent osteoporosis.
- Alkalinity of the body. Rooibos tea is a great natural alkalizer, since it does not contain caffeine it can be drunk by anyone.
- Due to its content of vitamin C, quercetin, flavonoids and others, it makes it an excellent tea to combat free radicals, which in turn influences the aging process.
- Skin conditions. Due to its antioxidant power, if this type of tea is drunk frequently, it can alleviate certain skin conditions such as: eczema, diaper rash, allergies and some irritations.
- Load minerals. Rooibos tea infusions contain a large amount of iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
- Excellent for losing weight. Due to its sodium and potassium levels, it is a very mild laxative, which prevents fluid retention and relieves heavy legs.
- Fatty liver. Thanks to its antioxidant content, it is excellent for detoxifying the body, it does this by activating AMPK enzymes. In addition, it has properties that protect the liver. Helps treat fatty liver and metabolic syndrome.
- Relieves the effects of mild allergies, thanks to the contribution of antioxidants and phytochemicals.
Rooibos Tea Alkalinity Level
The alkalinity of Rooibos tea is given by the large number of nutrients it possesses, among them are: potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc. Also fluoride, enzymes, vitamins and antioxidant compounds.
Precisely because of the amount of minerals it has, it makes it an excellent alkaline drink. There are studies that indicate that Rooibos has a Ph of 5.3. To take advantage of this property, it is worth learning how to prepare it both hot and cold (the steps are the same):
- Boil a liter of water.
- When you see that it is boiling, add a handful of leaves and threads of Rooibos tea and then lower it from the heat.
- Let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- It is not necessary to sweeten it, although you can. You can drink it hot or cold.
- You can add milk to it. If you prefer it cold, the shakes are a good option and the fruit granitas.
You already know why Rooibos tea is alkaline and the benefits it brings to the body.