Barley is a well-known cereal that has a series of beneficial health properties, and is also considered a superfood. Many recipes can be prepared with it, such as soups, barley water, pasta, stews, etc. In this post you will learn what barley tea is , flavor, uses and recipes.
Barley is a food that benefits health, which is why many people include it in their diet. It can be included in breakfast and is accompanied with milk, yogurt, etc., as well as any other cereal. It has a sweet taste, it is a plant with long and flexible spikes. Along with corn and rice, it is one of the most consumed cereals in the world. The countries with the highest barley production are Canada and Russia. For years it was the ingredient to make bread, later it was replaced by wheat.
What is barley tea
It is a drink that is obtained by immersing barley in boiling water for around 10 minutes and can be served hot or cold, depending on the country. In Japan it is called mugicha and it is generally drunk cold in summer. In Korea it is called boriche that is drunk hot or cold and sometimes replaces water to cool off.
Another way to prepare barley tea is with the roasted corn version, this time the drink is called oksusu boricha. It is also prepared with corn and barley. The flavor can counterbalance a bit with the natural barley. The traditional preparation is made with roasted barley grains and is prepared in the same way as a tea with loose leaves, eventually the barley disintegrates.
Ground barley is available on the market in the form of tea bags, there is even baby barley tea whose packaging is different. There is also the bottled one that is available in vending machines, and if you prefer, like coffee, it is mixed with chicory.
Barley Tea Benefits
In many Asian countries it is drunk every day. Some of the benefits of barley tea are:
- Improves the functions of the brain and heart. By containing the antioxidant quercetin, it balances blood pressure, improving heart and brain functions.
- The antioxidant properties of barley tea are due to chlorogenic and vanilic acids.
- It helps to sleep. The tea contains a hormone called melatonin that helps with sleep, although a cup may not make it happen right away, but it does help.
- Kidney health. Helps eliminate toxins from the kidneys, balancing the body’s ph and organ alkalinization. This prevents the formation of kidney stones and urinary infections.
- Nutritional contribution. By drinking it regularly you get a great supply of B vitamins, folic acid, vitamin K and minerals such as zinc, potassium, iron and phosphorus, as well as a large amount of fiber.
- Cholesterol control. There is less risk of high cholesterol, thanks to the action of certain insoluble complexes that prevent the intestines from absorbing it.
- Helps intestinal well-being. It acts as a natural antiseptic, so it is recommended in the treatment of colitis and diarrhea.
Barley Tea Uses
The main uses of barley tea are:
- Food or drink. Being a cereal, barley serves as food for people. Bread is made, combined or not with other cereals. Beer, whiskey and wine are also made by boiling barley in water which is then mixed with other ingredients and wine. Malt is also obtained, which is a coffee substitute.
- Food for animals. Barley grain is used as animal feed or as livestock feed. In cold places, barley is used as animal feed, where it is difficult for corn and other cereals to grow.
- Like medicine. The plant and the grain is used as a medicinal plant to treat diabetes, cholesterol, diarrhea, stomach pain, etc.
Barley Tea Recipes
Among the recipes that are prepared with barley are.
This drink is prepared with the following ingredients:
- 6 cups of water.
- Juice and zest of lemons.
- ¾ pearl barley.
- Cinnamon to taste.
The steps to prepare it are very simple:
- First, the barley grains are washed to remove the impurities that they bring when buying them.
- Bring the water to a boil with the lemon zest and barley.
- When it starts to boil, place the lid and leave it for 30 minutes on low flame.
- When the preparation is ready, it comes down from the heat and strains, adding the lemon juice and honey.
- It can be drunk hot or cold.
To prepare it, the following ingredients are required:
- A cup of barley.
- A pinch of salt.
- Four cups of water.
- Sweetener to taste (honey, cinnamon, vanilla, etc.).
To make it, do it like this:
- Barley is soaked in water for 12 hours.
- Rinse and drain to remove all impurities.
- Add the barley to the blender with the cups of water.
- Blend and strain with a spoon to squeeze milk.
- Then, the chosen sweetener is added and mixed.
- Add the salt and voila! It is served cold.