Due to the great popularity it has achieved in recent years, this red fruit has fully entered the market. Its success is due to the innumerable benefits it has on health. In this post you will know what berry tea is .
The goji berries. They are in the category of superfoods, containing fiber and antioxidants, benefits that are also obtained from other foods. In this sense, its consumption has become more of a fashion than a necessity.
Its origin dates back to ancient China, which was consumed to prevent aging. Its largest cultivation occurs in the Ningixia region, it is a fruit similar to raisins, but it contains fewer carbohydrates and a high protein content. There are about 41 more species of this type of berry.
As for the calories it provides, they are around 270 kcal per 100 grams of berries. However, everything will depend on the source consulted, and can reach up to 370 kcal.
Who takes advantage of consuming berry tea
There are those who take advantage of consuming berry tea to get the most out of it:
- The athletes. Those who want to increase their energy level to take advantage of its nutritional qualities. Although in the same way you must maintain a healthy and natural diet.
- Diabetics. Chromium and magnesium are present in Goji berries, these elements act in the regulation of blood glucose.
- In the anemic Goji berry tea is excellent for those who have red blood cell deficiencies, due to its high iron content.
- For children. This natural product is 100% rich in vitamins, so it is recommended for children. Although it is not suitable for children under 7 years of age.
Berry Tea Benefits
Berry tea is made from two plants that come from Asia: Lycium chinense and Lycium barbarum. Both are high in antioxidants and are rich in carotene and vitamin C. It is rich in fiber and is a good source of vitamins B1 to B3, as well as minerals such as selenium, magnesium, copper, and manganese.
It can be consumed natural, in capsules, dehydrated or in tea. It can be purchased at health food stores, supermarkets, or online. In China they are added to soups and prepared as an infusion.
Below are the benefits of berry tea :
It increases the body’s defenses
Being rich in vitamin C and selenium helps strengthen the immune system. Due to its antioxidants, it reduces inflammation and prevents diseases such as the flu and colds.
Provides eye health
Being rich in carotenoids (zeaxanthin and beta-carotene), it protects eye health and also prevents eye diseases such as retinopathies, cataracts or macular degeneration. It also contains polysaccharides and proteoglycans that protect ocular neurons.
Reduce the cholesterol
By containing antioxidants, selenium and fiber, it helps reduce bad cholesterol (LDL), thus preventing cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks, stroke or atherosclerosis from appearing.
Help to lose weight
Containing a low level of calories helps weight loss, because it increases the feeling of satiety. In addition, the B complex vitamins it contains allow the proper functioning of metabolism and absorb energy from food.
By containing bioactive components they prevent the formation of tumors and cancer cells. Likewise, it prevents cell damage due to the action of free radicals.
It is also important to mention the benefits of juniper berry tea , among the most common are:
- Avoid liquid retention.
- It is ideal for treating urinary and bladder problems such as cystitis.
- Improves digestive function and combats flatulence.
Berry tea preparation
To prepare the berry tea , you must first gather the following ingredients:
- A tablespoon of Goji berries.
- Three cloves.
- A handful of lemon verbena leaves.
- Lemon peel.
- 1 ½ cup of water.
How to prepare it?
- Boil the water in a pot.
- Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the ingredients.
- Cover and let it infuse for about 10 minutes, so it releases all its nutrients.
- After the time you can drink the infusion.
- If you prefer sweeten with honey.
fruit and berry tea
To prepare this fruit and berry tea my coffee the following ingredients are required:
- Four tablespoons of Goji berries.
- 1 ½ cup of fruits
- Three tablespoons of Greek yogurt.
- ¼ cup of water.
How to prepare it?
- Soak the berries in a tablespoon of water and leave them there for 15 minutes to soften.
- After the time passes them to a blender and add the other ingredients.
- Blend and serve.
Gather the following ingredients:
- Greek yogurt.
- Goji berries.
- Cocoa nibs.
How to prepare it:
- First, you must soften the berries, for this they must be soaked in two tablespoons of water for 15 minutes.
- Serve the yogurt in a deep plate and add the berries and cocoa nibs on top.
Berry tea contraindications
Consuming berry tea is very safe, it does not have severe side effects, however, it may interact with certain medications and antifreeze. This is because the berries contain anticoagulant properties, which when in contact with the medicine can make the blood thinner and cause bleeding.
It is also not recommended in people who are being treated for high blood pressure or for glucose control. To make sure if you can consume it or not, it is best to consult your doctor.